Where to Find Free Legal Services and Advice
If you are in need of legal advice or representation for any type of financial issue, it is important to realize that there is free help available if you are unable to afford these services on your own. No matter what state you live in, there organizations and governmental agents available who can look at your information and help you determine what your options are. These services are provided by professional and experienced attorneys that can go to court with you if necessary.
What Types of Free Legal Services Is Available?
Below is a look at just some of the legal services that may be available to you free of charge.
- Foreclosures / Evictions. Many of these organizations help low-to-moderate income homeowners who are facing foreclosure, either avoid foreclosure by modifying their loan or help them through the foreclosure process. They can also help renters who are facing eviction by mediating any type of landlord-tenant dispute or providing legal assistance for those tenants whose landlord is facing foreclosure.
- Income Issues. These organizations and agencies may be able to provide professional legal assistance for those who are fighting to receive employment income or benefits they believe they deserve. This can include obtaining unemployment compensation benefits, worker’s compensation support, public assistant benefits, rental assistant benefits, and/or social security benefits.
- Utility Disputes. Thousands of residents across the country face possible utility shut-offs every year. This includes gas, water / sewer, and electric shutoffs. Some of these terminations of services are illegal and the utility companies can be forced to turn them back on. These organizations can work with people who have either received an unlawful shut-off notice or whose utilities have already been shut-off.
- Bankruptcy Issues. Many of these free services include assistance to help people avoid filing for bankruptcy. They will work directly with the client’s creditors, lenders, and bill collectors to try to work out a reasonable payment plan that they can afford. When all other options have been explores, the attorneys can help clients work through the bankruptcy process.
- Consumer Protection Rights. Both the organizations and governmental agencies can help people who have been treated unfairly, or scammed, by banks, lenders, and businesses. This typically involves seniors who lost money due to a scam or not understanding the terms of the agreements. They can help seniors fight to get their money returned to them or help them end a costly contract.
- Military Issues. If active or veteran military personnel have been denied for special benefits they feel they have the right to, such as housing and disability benefits these organizations can help. They will work hard to make sure these servicemen and women get the services they need and deserve.
Where to Find Free Legal Services
There are several organizations throughout the country where people can turn for free legal advice and services. Below is a look at the top organizations and agencies in the country.
- Legal Services Corporation. This organization was formed by the National Legal Aid and Defender Association (NLADA) to provide free legal services to low or moderate-income individuals across the country. They provide an array of services, including assistant with foreclosures, evictions, utility shutoffs, termination or rejection of benefits or services, and consumer scams and fraud issues.
- My Legal Aide. My Legal Aide offers legal advice and supportive service from experienced attorney to help individuals and families with bankruptcy and debt consolidation.
- Attorney General’s Office. The Attorney General’s Office is designed to protect the rights of individuals throughout the country. They handle cases where crimes, such as fraud or unfair consumer practices, have taken place. Your best place to start is by contacting your specific state’s Attorney General’s Office and explain the situation to see if they can help.
- Federal Trade Commission. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) was created to help protect consumers against unfair business practices and/or scams. They investigate cases and work to get people their money back or end illegal contracts. If you believe you have been unfairly treated as a consumer or you have been scammed by a business, you should start by filing a complaint with the FTC. They will get in touch with you to discuss your case further and provide the legal support you need.
- American Bar Association. The American Bar Association (ABA) does not provide free legal services, but they do provide a listing of attorneys across the country that offer some type of pro bono, or free, legal representation. You can use the ABA website to find a free attorney in your area.
Legal services are available should you find yourself in need. Don’t be overwhelmed by your financial matters. Use one of the agencies above to get help. Legal representation shouldn’t just be an option for those more fortunate than others. Everyone deserves it.
[…] Legal Advice – Many of the same community organizations and government agencies also provide free legal advice […]
[…] professional help to assist you with finding alternative options. Search online for legal or non-profit services that assist with fines and […]
I’m in need of free help in paying bills and loan if not I may be forced to go to court
Depending on the amount and on going nature of your financial situation, contacting a CAA, local church or free financial counselor may be beneficial and provide you with quick help.
[…] In addition to the LSC there are a number of other legal services that provide pro bono work and help low income earners with legal aid across a range of circumstances – Learn more here […]
[…] Free Legal Assistance Most states across the country have legal firms which provide advice to low and moderate income, disabled and elderly individuals about their rights when it comes to disconnection of utility services. People with medical conditions or the elderly are given priority. Lawyers are able to help where they can to keep the power on and can provide free legal advice in this area. Learn more about free legal services here. […]
Hi i am tasha i need help with my ligth bill i got shut off notice letter and i need help to pay my ligth bill please some body help me
I am a hard-working Christian mother recently separated my electric was just shut off I have a small child in the household with asthma that has to use a breathing machine in my pediatrician will not give me another medical release form and the electric company will not work with me at least until I get my paycheck can anyone give me some advice or help or something so that i could do to get my electric back on as soon as possible….. thank you and God bless
I have $650 dollars in a fine that i need to pay off ASAP. Until i pay it off, i have 60 day suspended jail time and 16 month probation. I can NOT go to jail due to i have a job and i have a pregnant wife, and a son to take care of. We are trying to make ends meet, but with all these court fines and two kids to take care of its starting to get a little hard. We are in a apartment, getting food stamps and going to apply for Tanaf…again. We have gotten help from numerous people, and asked them if they could help us with this court fine and they magically do NOT have the money. I was just wondering does anyone know where i will be able to get help with my court fines?
Hi i will be put to the street i 2 days .I needed an emergency hotel voucher so i can sign up for a couple of days or so and was wondering if there is any luck ontoward finding me some help on towards what i was asking for thank you neighbor Jeremy L.
I have court fees, and unpaid tickets. I need a little help to pay these off. My licence is currently suspended due to these issues. I work pay check to paycheck and having a hard time.
Hi I need help paying my court cost ticket I haven’t gotten my unemployment yet don’t know if I will by sept 30 need some help paying off I do anything pick up trash something I also going into treatment very soon Oct 1 I am homeless on street I made mistake I need a second Chance I trying to turn my life around
I have a speeding ticket which is 299 and i do not have a job nor the means to pay it off. How can i recieve help
I need help with my past bills for loans and title loans to before my car gets repoed please help
I have 2000 in tickets and reinstatement fees. I work in pizza and before my licence got suspended I was working 35+ hours a week… now that I can’t drive I’m working about 6 per week. Is there anyone I can contact that could help me pay it all off? Maybe a church outreach program or something? Please please please help me find something?
I need help paying tickets
Hello IM TIMIA AND I NEED HELP PAYING OFF A FINE FROM MVA$2,500.00
I’m a low income / homeless / living place to place mother looking for assistance,
In need of help with paying off my tickets im on the boot list now and praying they dont suspended my license please somebody guide me the right direction
I have a car but need help getting it fixed and currently not having anywhere permantly to stay I would love to get my car back up and running I could just sleep in it please help
I am in need of help paying 350 cost to Maine Motor vehicles. I am renting an apartment an have no money to pay this fine so I can drive once again befor5e I die. It has been 8 years now.
I need help paying traffic tickets from 10 years old!! I am just finding out about them this morning while trying to renew my license!! I don’t understand why they would wait until now to notify me of these fines now when I could’ve taken care of them years ago!! Now I don’t know how to fix these with my set income, I’m so upset and don’t know where to turn for help!!
I have like 1700 in court fees how Can I get help to get my License back
I need help paying ps&g I’m on total disability a i have my 93 year old mom living with me she’s on hospice service can I have Assistance with some bills to keep her in the house after I have to sell no way I can keep house alone
I recently went to court on first offence and fined $750.00 with 18 month probation. I can not work until they are satisfied and dropped. I need help paying fine so I can request probation sortened or dropped allowing me to work. This is a nightmare for 59 y/I female that doesn’t even have traffic tickets. I now have no way to pay fine or support myself. I would be eternally grateful for any help or advice on help. Thank you.
Hi I have a friend who needs help with getting his ID/Name straighting out he is 47 years old and it’s been like that since he was born he does not have the money to pay a lawyer
Hi i am a single man on disability,64 years old my X girlfriend of 9 years talked me into attempting to adopt her cousin’s 3 month old boy. that was 5 yrs ago.been trying to get the birth mom to do the right thing an complete the adoption. with never an answer.2 yrs ago my GF walked out of mine and the baby’s life.i am doing my best to get him adopted but all i hit is road blocks.my ex GF has all the numbers and it is really hard to get anyone to help me, i can not afford to do this as i do not know how or what to do. i do want the little man in my life forever as my son please help me finish this adoption. many thanks Eddie
need help paying rent $955 by the 15th or getting evicted on the 16th
I need help with traffic fines at about 10,000 dollars I’m on a fixed income and have a hard enough time paying my Bill’s. I have been in jail a few times for suspended license charges and everytime I get out they find another one this one they say is from 1995. I havent driven for over 10 years I’ve been disabled for a little longer than that I need help please I want to be able to drive again before my time is up on earth please help me I have grandkids I would like to see as well dr. Appointments and all
I think I’m being sued by the state over traffic tickets and I need an lawyer to help
My Dad owes close to $1000 in tickets , we are a low income household and need help.
How does someone who is homeless with no income get assistance paying a Citation?
Hello, I am in need of help . I need an immigration attorney, i have a court date and cannot afford to pay another attorney. I will appreciate any help. Thanks
need help with bills , also if anyone know where I can get some things to donate , food and clothes for homeless families , please let me know , things like scarves, gloves, blankets, soap, lotion, powder, hoodies, food that need no cooking. This is very important, I try within my small means to help others and i was sitting and something told me to go online and search for help, not only for myself but for others. I am reaching out and as an act of GOD hope to get responses to this cause.
I firmly believe in ” give unto others and it will be returned to you ”
waiting to hear form you.
I have over $75,000 in fines from a conviction in 2009. Can I get them waived or reduced due to financial hardship?
need help paying my van payments 3 months now need to pay at least 2 raising two grandaughters on my own been unemployed since june get to return to work on oct 21 but wont be able without van anyone know where i can find help before they take it
Hey I’m staying at the keys in I was wondering if you guys could help me pay for another 5 nights they do weekly rates I’m struggling right now my mom has stole my taxes and has money that I have not got in in my stimulus
kicked out her house on reaching out for a support Maybe somebody that can help me get my taxes I was wondering if you guys could help me my number is 6512831458 I’m a vulnerable adult she sposed to be my guardian She is a fraudulent car claim in got credit cards open my name really struggling I would like to reach out for some support
We feel we were scammed by bank and turned into AG and response was we might want to seek an attorney. Spent over $7000 on attorneys and accomplished nothing. Been three years into loan with ffb and now some mortgage inc is co!letting payment. Recently contacted by FFB I dicating we should of been offered disability dear I Durance and it was oversight of bank. My husband had previously loan on home with FFB and disability Insurance on home loan. He became disabled during this time but bank never mentioned she. He went to refinance. Instead they said he needed a co-borrower. Feel we were taken advantage of and no help to be found to take on FFB.
I need help paying tickets off to get my license back