Money Assistance Oklahoma

Oklahoma ranks among states with the highest poverty rates, coming in at 35 out of 50 according to Poverty USA. With 16.8 percent of state residents considered living at or below the national poverty level and nearly 25 percent of children in Oklahoma live in poverty. If you are struggling to make ends meet and can use some financial assistance, there are numerous things you can do – see below.

Assistance with utilities: Oklahoma residents can get assistance with their utility bills through several programs The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program which offers heating and cooling assistance, weatherization programs and assistance with repairs on heating and cooling units to low-income households - You must reapply each season. The Salvation Army offers utility assistance through their programs in partnership with various gas companies. The Salvo programs are generally for the elderly and disabled who cannot pay their bills.

Food Assistance: You may qualify for assistance through the state food stamp program, SNAP. Residents must meet poverty level standards to qualify for assistance. The program provides a monthly stipend to help cover the cost of meals for the family. Additionally, women may qualify for assistance through the Women, Infant and Children (WIC) program, which provides vouchers for specific food items for low-income women with children under the age of 5. Students who come from a low-income home may qualify for reduced or free lunch at school.

Rent and Mortgage: Residents may qualify for assistance with rent through the Housing and Urban Development program which offers low-income families reduced rent in Section 8 housing programs. You can also apply for help through the Neighborhood Services Organization which helps families avoid homelessness.

Cash Help: Sometimes grants and benefits aren’t enough or can’t cover certain expenses. If you are in need of a loan then visit our section on responsible lending which provide ethical options beyond Payday lending. See our Additional Services & Resources area.

Medical Assistance: Residents can get help with medical expenses through the state Medicaid program. The program offers free health insurance coverage to families who fall at or below poverty level. The CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) offers low-cost health insurance coverage for children in families that don’t qualify for Medicaid. You may also apply for assistance through SoonerCare which is designed for children, low-income families with children under 18 years-old, the disabled and elderly individuals over 65.

Educational Assistance: Students in Oklahoma may qualify for financial aid through the Federal Pell Grant Program. Students must attend college full time and meet certain financial restrictions. Additionally students can receive help through the Oklahoma College Assistance Program. The program offers help with student loans and access to college financial aid programs. You may also qualify for financial assistance from the Oklahoma Division of Student Assistance. Low-income families may also receive help through the Head Start program.

Community Action Centers: Oklahoma residents can get more access to assistance with housing, utilities, food and medical needs through the Community Action Agency of Oklahoma and Oklahoma Canadian Counties (CAA of OKC). Residents can find more information about local community action centers through the Oklahoma Association of Community Action Agencies. These programs offer assistance with homelessness and unemployment in addition to other outreach programs.                                                                                                                                                         

Charities: Oklahoma is ranked as the 24th most giving state in the country according to WalletHub. Residents can access help though many different charities including: Operation Roundup is a program that is designed to provide money to needy families pay for expenses that are not being covered by other assistance programs. The grants include funds for housing, utilities, food, clothing and education assistance. Other options include the American Red Cross of Central Oklahoma, EARC (Employment and Residential Centers) and Goodwill Industries. The charities provide housing, clothing, food and education assistance for families in need.


Share Button