Money Assistance Arkansas

Arkansas has one of the highest poverty rates in the US ranking at number 48. With almost 20 percent of state residents considered to be living in poverty and 29 percent of children living in poverty, many people need at least a little help covering some of their monthly expenses. If you are struggling to pay your bills or experiencing money problems, you may qualify for assistance from one of the many programs available.

Assistance with Utilities: Residents in Arkansas can get help with their utility bills through Entergy. This organization connects residents with the right program for their needs. Some programs include The Power to Care which provides energy assistance to the elderly and disabled. Low-income families can get help through the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program. Funds are provided to qualified families to help cover energy bills and expenses. If you are willing to use your electric for only basic necessities (less than 6000 kw per month) you can get special rates through the essential service credit.

Food Assistance: If you need help supplementing your food budget, you may qualify for help through the state Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (food stamps). Families that qualify must meet certain income requirements. In addition, women with children under five and pregnant women can get help through the Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) program. If you need further help, or you don’t qualify for help through the state programs, you can also get food at an Arkansas Food Pantry.

Loan Help: If you are in need of money and have considered taking on an expensive short-term loan, learn about better options. See what types of specialty loans that banks provide in addition to other non-profit and government based lending products. Learn more about affordable loans here.

Rent and Mortgage: Arkansas residents with a low income can qualify for assistance through the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Section 8 housing provides subsidized housing options for families who can’t afford regular rent rates. HUD provides financial assistance for monthly rent, deposits and down payments for new homes. In addition, you can get help through the Mortgage Relief Project.

Medical Assistance: If you need help covering medical expenses, you can apply for assistance through the state Medicaid program. Medicaid offers free insurance to qualifying families and individuals. You will need to undergo an application and interview process. In addition, you must provide proof of income. If you don’t qualify, your children could still get low-cost insurance through the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Some individuals may also get help through the Medication Assistance Program which helps offset the cost of needed medication.

Educational Assistance: Potential students can get help with their education expenses through the Federal Pell Grant program. Students must show they have a financial need and only receive money during semesters they attend classes full-time. Students can get help applying for grants and loans through the Arkansas Department of Higher Education. This site will help students get access to local grants and scholarships. Low-income families with small children can also get help with preschool and early education through the Head Start Program.

Community Action Centers: If you need further assistance, you can get help through the Arkansas Community Action Agencies Association, which links residents to local community action centers. Resources available to residents include: access to public assistance and employment assistance. Homeless residents can also get help finding a safe place to stay.

Charities: Despite the high poverty rates, Arkansas residents still find room to give. Ranked as the 44th most giving state, residents can get help through many local charities including Pagnozzi Charities, the Ronald McDonald House and the Catholic Charities of Arkansas. You can find more charities at the Arkansas Attorney General’s website.


Share Button