Money Assistance Wisconsin

According to Poverty USA, Wisconsin is ranked at 18 for poverty levels, which places them better than most states. With 13.5 percent of their residents living in poverty and 18.4 percent of children in the state living in poverty, there are numerous families who need help covering their monthly expenses. If you need help paying for bills due to job loss, low income or other extenuating circumstances, you may qualify for assistance through some of the programs available in Wisconsin.

Assistance with utilities: Wisconsin residents can get help paying for their energy bills through the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP). The program offers help with heating and electricity expenses. In addition, the program offers emergency help for qualifying families. Residents can also contact their local utility departments to find out more about assistance programs specific to that company.

Food Assistance: If you need help with supplementing your food expenses, you could qualify for help through the FoodShare Program. The program is designed to help residents pay for food for their families. Families must qualify based on income level. In addition pregnant women and women with children under the age of 5 can get help through the state WIC (Women, Infant and Children) program which provides checks for approved foods. Women can also access medical care and educational resources. Parents with school-aged children may apply for free or reduced lunch for their child through the local school district.

Loan Help: If you are having issues securing a personal loan and want to avoid payday lenders. There are multiple options available through non-profits, credit unions and the banks even have some specialty loans in partnership with the government. Learn more about these loan options here.

Rent and Mortgage: If you need help paying for your rent or mortgage you can apply for help through the Section 8 Housing Program through the Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee. Section 8 housing provides subsidized housing programs for low-income families. There is typically a waiting list. If you need more immediate help, you can apply for help with your monthly bills through the Department of Housing and Urban Development which offers limited assistance to help pay overdue rent, cover the cost of security deposits and the payment of monthly rent.

Medical Assistance: Wisconsin residents who need help paying their medical bills may apply for assistance through the state Medicaid program. The program offers free health insurance for low-come families, individuals with disabilities, pregnant women and the elderly. Residents must qualify by showing proof of income. In addition, families with children who don’t qualify for Medicaid may get low-cost insurance coverage for their children through the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). The program provides traditional insurance coverage for a low deductible.

Educational Assistance: Future students can qualify for help for college expenses through the Federal Pell Grant Program which offers tuition assistance for students who come from lower-income homes. Students are required to attend college full-time during the semesters they accept grants. Low-income families with small children may also get help through the Head Start Program which offers early-education opportunities for at-risk children.

Community Action Centers: Residents can get further assistance through the Wisconsin Community Action Program. The program helps raise money for low-income families and provides services to families in need. Residents can get help paying monthly bills including utilities, food and medical expenses. In addition, residents can get help finding jobs, skill development and preparing for job interviews.

Charities: According to WalletHub’s 2014 list, Wisconsin is the 22nd most giving state in the country. This means more people than average, are willing to lend a helping hand. You can get additional assistance through local charity programs like Caritas for Children, Hunger Task Force and the Kids First Fund.


Share Button