Money Assistance New York

New York has a high poverty rate sitting at about 16 percent of the general public according to Poverty USA. An even more staggering statistic is that nearly 23 percent of children are living at or below the poverty line. Whilst there are a large number of individuals and families struggling, there is a range of financial assistance programs in place to help ease money problems. If you have fallen on hard times and need help paying your bills, or need some other form of financial assistance you may qualify for help through one of the many programs or services below.

Assistance with Utilities: If you need help covering your energy expenses you may qualify for help through the Home Energy Assistance Program. The program offers help with utilities and heating expenses. The program is only operations seasonally and you must reapply every year. You can also apply for help through the Low Income home Energy Assistance program. To qualify, a family of four must make less than $35,557 a year.

Food Assistance: If you need help paying for food expenses, you may qualify for help through the state Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (Food Stamps). The program offers a monthly stipend to help low-income families pay for food each month. In addition, pregnant women and women with children under the age of 5 may qualify for help through the Women Infant and Children (WIC) program. Students may qualify for free or reduced lunch through their school district. You can find additional help at local Food Pantries.

Loan Assistance: If you cannot qualify for a loan through the banks and are considering a payday loan - there are better options. There are a range of specialty loan options provide by credit unions, some banks and non-profits. These loans were designed to provide borrowers a better alternative to expensive short-term loans - Learn more about these loans here.

Rent and Mortgage: Low-income families may qualify for reduced rent through Section 8 subsidized housing that offers safe, affordable housing - income qualification applies. In addition, homeowners can get help through the Interim Mortgage Assistance Program (IMA). The program requires a detailed application including supporting financial documentation. Assistance amount available is up to $3,000 per month for a maximum of 20 months. Residents who participate may be required to purchase flood insurance. The program is for families who have been displaced from their home during Superstorm Sandy, Hurricane Irene or Tropical Storm Lee.

Medical Assistance: New York residents may qualify for help through the state Medicaid Program that offers free health insurance to low-income families. If you don’t qualify for Medicaid (which is an income-based program) your kids may be able to get very low-cost health insurance through the Children’s Health Insurance Program. Additionally, residents may be able to get free or reduced health care from free clinics throughout the state.

Educational Assistance: Students interested in attending college can get help with their college expenses through the Federal Pell Grant Program, which offers free money for full-time college students from lower income families. Students may also qualify for help through the Tuition Assistance Program, which offers help to students from low-income students who choose to attend school in-state.  Families with young children at home can get help for early-education resources through the Head Start Program.

Community Action Centers: If you need additional help applying for help or finding emergency housing services, you may be able to get assistance from the New York City Community Action Association. The programs aim to help eliminate and/or prevent homelessness through self-sufficiency. Residents can access public programs as well as help finding jobs and getting training needed to qualify for work.

Charities: According to Wallethub, New York State is ranked as the 40th most giving state in the nation. While they rank lower than most states, there are still plenty of opportunities to get the help you need through private and public charities like The Children’s Aid Society, Catholic Charities and the Robin Hood Foundation.


Share Button