Money Assistance Kansas

According to Poverty USA, Kansas ranks 20 out of 50 in terms of state poverty levels, with 14 percent of residents qualifying at or below poverty level. Roughly 18.7% of children in Kansas live in poverty. If you are dealing with financial hardship, there are numerous assistance programs to help ease your financial commitments. Below is a list of support options which cover most areas of need.

Assistance with utilities: Kansas residents can receive help with their utility expenses through the Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program. The program helps provide funding for heating, cooling and repairs as well as help with winterization. Residents must meet income qualifications and provide utility rates and type of fuel they use. Additionally, residents can find access to private organizations that provide utility assistance in their region through the Kansas Corporation Commission.

Food Assistance: Kansas residents can receive help with their food budget through the Kansas Department for Children and Families. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The program provides a monthly food stipend for families who qualify. In addition, pregnant women and women with children under the age of 5, qualify for assistance through the Women, Infant and Children’s program (WIC), which offers vouchers for food and formula. The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) provides emergency food assistance.

Loan Assistance: Some expenses require a cash injection, such as car or appliance repair. If you are in need of a small loan visit our Additional Services & Resource section.

Rent and Mortgage: Rent and mortgage assistance is available through the Kansas Housing Resources Corporation via the Tenant Based Rental Assistance program which offers help with rent, security deposits and utility deposits. There is a limit to how much is offered based on income and rent amount. Low-income families may also qualify for assistance through the Department of Housing and Urban Development which offers reduced cost, Section 8 housing.

Medical Assistance:Kansas residents may qualify for medical assistance through the Kansas Medicaid Program. The program offers free insurance to families and individuals who meet financial requirements. Additionally, families who don’t qualify for assistance through Medicaid, may be able to get help through the CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program). Handicapped individuals may qualify for help through MediKan and the elderly can apply for special medical assistance through the PACE program.

Educational Assistance:Students from low income families may qualify for assistance with college funding through the Federal Pell Grant program. Applicants must meet financial level requirements as well as commitments to stay enrolled in courses full-time. Additionally, the Foster Child Education Assistance Program offers tuition and fee assistance for foster children and the Kansas National Guard Educational Assistance Program will pay for education expenses of volunteers who agree to serve at least six years.

Community Action Centers:Residents who need additional help can get support through the Kansas Association of Community Action Programs which offers residents help with finding assistance for rent, food, clothing and education as well as unemployment support. Residents can find information about local community action through the KACAP website. The program is designed to help eradicate poverty in Kansas and to assist low-income families.

Charities: Kansas ranks as the third most giving state in the country, according to WalletHub. This is great news for individuals in need. There are a variety of charities that provide assistance including: The Bishop Sullivan Center, which offers food resources for local residents in need, Community LINC which promises a “hand up, not a hand out,” Community Services league (housing) and the DeLaSalle Education Center (education for private schools).


Share Button