Money Assistance Washington State

Washington ranks at number 20 on the Bureau of Labor Statistic’s list of unemployment rates. With nearly 5.7 percent of individuals out of work and even more barely scraping by on minimum incomes, the need for extra assistance reaches many Washington residents. If you are struggling to pay your bills or buy food, there are a few a programs that are available to help you until you get back on your feet again. Here are a few ways you can get a little extra help.

Assistance with utilities: If you are struggling to keep your lights on and the heat flowing, you can get assistance from the Washington Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). The program is designed to provide discounted energy and utility services to qualifying families. To qualify for assistance a family of four must make $29,813 or less per year.

Loan Assistance: If you are in need of a loan to help with unexpected circumstances, there are definitely options to steer clear of and others which are more appropriate. Visit our low income loans section to review the different types of options which may be suitable for you.

Food Assistance: Residents of Washington can receive assistance with food purchases through the Food Stamps and WIC programs. The WIC program provides assistance with some foods for pregnant women and low-income women with children under 5 years old. Families interested in Food Stamps must provide financial evidence that they qualify for a monthly stipend. The stipend is for use on approved food products (essentially anything but alcohol, tobacco, supplements and precooked items).

Rent and Mortgage: If you need help with your rent of mortgage you can get assistance with free counseling offered by a group of attorneys across the state. The network was designed to provide legal assistance to help low income families keep their homes. Additionally you can get assistance through several HUD agencies to help assist with current payments. Check out the Tenant Based Rental Assistance program for help with security deposits, utility deposits and up to 12 months or rental assistance.

Medical Assistance: There are several different programs provided on a state and federal level including Medicaid, Medicare and the CHIP program. Each has different financial qualifications you must meet to get access. You can also apply for assistance through Basic Health which is sponsored by the state. The program helps low-income families find private insurance for less. The program is designed to help low-income and poor working families.

Educational Assistance: If you are interested in furthering your education, you may qualify for state and federal assistance. The Washington Student Achievement Council provides assistance applying for financial aid and grants. There are a lot of helpful links on their website that direct you to specialty grants and scholarships you may qualify for. Additionally, Veterans can apply for financial assistance through the Washing Veterans Education Benefits program.

Community Action Centers: The Community Action Center in Washington works with Whitman County communities to help reduce homelessness and ensure that families have enough for food, insurance and other basic necessities. You can find more information about various community action centers throughout the state at the Washington State Community Action Partnership. The group 30 networked agencies work with local communities to create more opportunities for low-income and poor families. To learn more about how CAA's and the services they provide, visit here.

Charities: There are a plethora of Charity organizations in Washington. The Secretary of State provides easy access to more information about specific charity programs. You can also search for specific charities on the Washington State Combined Fund Drive page. Each charity has specific rules regarding who they provide assistance to, you may need to search for a little while to find the right fit for your situations.


Share Button